Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Tips on competition prep (or just healthy eating) and traveling

We have had to miss many weddings in the last 8 years.  There has always been something.  Like when my sister in law got married Ethan was in the NICU.  Yep we were able to leave.  Then there were things like my husbands job was intensely busy at the time of my cousins wedding last summer. There were about 8 other weddings that we missed.  So when I found out my cousin was engaged in December I was excited.  Then they planned the wedding for February!  What?!?  I knew I was going to be on a strict plan for competition so how the heck was I going to make it?  Not to mention my kids are still on a very strict eating plan.  I was determined not to let competition affect our life tho... so bring on the challenge!

The night before we left I prepped.  And prepped.  It was work but so worth it. Here is what I prepped for myself.

Chicken: I use my instant pot for chicken ALL of the time.  This is the instant pot I have and highly recommend it!  It's actually all I use for instant pot for these days!  I put enough chicken in there to last my meals for 5 days.  I cover them with water, throw some freeze dried garlic in there, close the lid and vent, push poultry (all this means is high pressure) and set to 10 minutes for frozen chicken or 7 minutes for fresh.  So easy.  Once it cools off a bit I measure 3 oz out and threw them in zip lock baggies.  My kids like chicken too so I made a few extra with a teriyaki sauce they like.

Sweet potatoes:  Here is where I learned something.  So I cut my sweet potatoes using the pampered chef mandolin slicer (careful because this thing is sharp and if you don't use the guard you could end up in the ER like I did!)  I set it to 2 (when I am at home I have cut them on the 1 setting and air fried them with ground turkey meat and spinach for a taco salad).  (You can get the one I have from pampered chef here or this one looks awesome from amazon.) then measure out the sweet potatoes and stick them in baggies.  I should have cooked them first.  I don't mind eating them cold.  I was able to stop at truck stops an microwave my food but really I would prefer just to eat it cold and not have to use the truck stop.

Brussel Sprouts:  I used these for some of my veggies for meals.  I cooked them in the pampered chef steamer (you can click on that link or my friend Michelle can hook you up thru PC directly here)
and measured them out to 1 cup and threw them in a baggie.  I then tossed seasoning on them and they were ready to go.  Again I don't mind eating these cold.


Spinach: Other days I would just have tossed spinach in my chicken baggie.  When I would go to eat I would toss some spices or dressing on it and eat it out of the bag.  You could add veggies in here too but I did not.

Dressing:  One of my new favorite dressings is this one from Braggs

Steak: Some nights I get steak so I use the Schwans steak and blacken it.  I put a few seasonings on it and grill it on the oven for a few minutes followed by the oven at 350 until its done to my liking.  Usually about 8-10 minutes.  I then cut it up and measure it out and toss it in baggies.  I did spinach with with this too for a steak salad.

Onions:  I love onions.  My husband hates them.  I stopped making them because he hated them so bad but he's drinking wine while I am on prep (and can't drink wine) so I am eating my dang onions!  I just simply slice them and put them in a pan with water.  The water ends up evaporating and cartelizing the onions a bit.  I tossed this into some of my chicken or steak bags as well.

Protein shakes:  Love me some protein shakes!  I actually took my immersion blender because I needed something small (although I did travel with my instant pot lol).  This is the blender I have and love it!  Some meals I do a shake with a frozen banana (frozen is key!  it makes it so frothy and delicious!) but others its just a shake with water.  Here is one of my favorite protein shakes (I love the chocolate chip mint, chocolate peanut butter, vanilla ice cream, and banana.  I have heard chocolate raspberry is good too.)  I have also tried Ideal Lean.  I used to do a pumpkin spice one in the fall by mixing vanilla protein with a tablespoon of pumpkin, a bunch of pumpkin spice and sometimes a frozen banana.  So yummy!  Last spring I also did Her Whey blueberry muffin protein shake that was delicious too.  If you click this link you can get $10 off your order from bodybuilding.com.  I have order Her Whey, the ISO Mutant shakes and amnicore amino acids in white grape (so good!)

Apples:  I took an apple slicer like this one but I also took my apple dealer/corer/slicer.  I like to cut up my apple in the morning and throw it in a baggie with cinnamon or pumpkin spice.  It makes me feel more like a lady eating it this way vs a cow chowing on a whole apple lol.  Sometimes I use pineapple too.  I just cut it up fresh and measure it out into baggies.

Almonds: I love dry roasted almonds!  I measure them out and throw them in a baggie.  Careful if you don't measure these because I don't know about you but I could eat 6 days worth of fat in just almonds!  I have also made almonds in the past where I put them in the crockpot with some olive oil and seasonings and warm them.  So good!

Eggs: Some days I just have egg whites, some an egg mixed with egg whites.  I have found the easiest way to do this is use a muffin pan and measure them out in each compartment.  I put spinach and seasonings in them (onion powder, garlic powder, ground rosemary, ground thyme or flavor gods in everything or bacon.)  I then bake them until they are done.  Usually 350 for 30 minutes but I check on them towards the end.  Once they are cooled off I put two in a baggie for a meals serving.

Oatmeal:  I decide how many days I am going to make of oatmeal and cook that amount on the stove (old fashioned is my favorite).  Once it is done I measure it out in equal parts in the muffin tins.  I then throw 1/2 TBSP walnut butter (did you know you can make your own nut butter and its super simple?) 1 tsp pumpkin, cinnamon and pumpkin spice.  Sometimes I add some liquid stevia drops in there too.  I then bake them usually for the same time as the eggs because if I do 3 days at a time I have 6 muffins of eggs and 6 muffins for oatmeal.  I put 2 in a baggie for each days serving.  Tip: for the eggs and oatmeal I use a silicone muffin pan like this one so I don't have to oil the compartments.




No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

This blog started as a hobby for many reasons. It later became a way to keep the family up to date on our micro preemie baby, Ethan. Now as Ethan is nearing the 8 year mark with a little sister of 5 years I am finding a new reason to document on this blog.

Last year we were told by the school that Ethan had cerebral palsy, a blindspot and dyslexia. That is what started it all. I started taking him to doctors to find out what was going on and why this hasn't been discovered before now. In April 2017 we were told that he has executive functioning disorder. What the heck is EFD I thought?!?! After the doctor explaining it to us he basically said that if we don't start making changes now he could fall into the ADHD or possibly the autism category. Ok... so now what? What can we do?!? Well this blog is my way of documenting it all not only for me but also to help others find their way thru similar situations.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP