Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Get your sexy partner back

Last January I started working out because I was scared.  Scared of what was to come with my son.  The school suggested he had cerebral palsy and once you start googling that it will scare a mom.  I was going to need strength for that journey.  What I didn't know is how my life changes would inspire those around me.  Especially my husband.  When I met my husband 12 years ago he was just getting back from deployment.  He was ripped.  He was also excited to be back to the states where he could order pizza when he wanted and we made sure to hit up all the local bars... in the city that has the most bars per capita LOL!  Well that catches up to anyone!

So for Mother's Day I wanted Ashley Horner's ab workout, crux.  I really didn't want to buy it tho if I wasn't going to follow thru with it.  I also was hoping one day I might see my husbands abs that were there for the first week of dating!  So I asked if he would do it with me.  He hated doing abs but it was for Mothers Day so he said yes.  Thats when it all started.  Monday-Friday we did abs after the kids went to bed.  It was a new tradition.  If we missed a day we made up for it on the weekend but we stayed on track.

When he started noticing the changes to my body from my dedication of working out 5-6 times a week and tracking my food he decided he wanted to take it a step further.  He started doing cardio and weight lifting.  With my son's diagnosis of Executive functioning disorder (found out it wasn't CP!) I started researching more into nutrition.  Everything I would find out I would later tell my husband about my findings.  He found it as interesting as I did.  He really started to take control of his own health and found himself 35 pounds lighter and feeling amazing.

I've tried in the past to get him on board with working out and eating healthy but it never worked.  I wanted him to be around for the kids.  I didn't want to see his health slowly deteriorate and not be physically fit to do the things he wanted.  After losing the weight he did a few long hikes and mountain climbing with some friends (someone had to watch the kids so I stayed behind) and then we did a 17 mile hike in the Grand Tetons this summer while my Mom and Step Dad watched the kids.  That hike was full of amazing views but when we completed the hike the feeling of accomplishment was exhilarating.  Once my husband got active too we started pushing the kids.  Before my sons diagnosis we would have never attempted hikes with the kids as were afraid of many falls that could lead into discouragement or broken bones.  After we changed his diet tho we took the kids on many hikes as long as 6 miles.  They did amazing.  Now I'm not saying there wasn't any whining because there was.  We just got creative with them and offered them money or treats (screen time or doing something fun with us) if they found the most spider webs, or if they found a bunny, dear, bear etc there were points.  It helped get them interested and enjoying the trip.  How are our kids supposed to know if they like hiking if we don't take them more than once.  Being active is so beneficial for the whole family no matter what the age.  I have never heard anyone say "Geez I wish I was not so physically fit" or "Dang I wish I wouldn't have eaten all that healthy food."  We have one body.  One.  It is the vehicle that you have been given to do all the things that you want to do in life.  How do you want to cross the finish line?

If you want others around you to be healthy don't nag.  Show them.  Inspire them.  Be the example.  Don't point fingers telling them they need to exercise or eat different foods.  Cook healthy foods.  Purchase healthy foods to have in the house.  Invite them to workout with you.  Don't be discouraged if they do their own thing.  It may take awhile.  Keep taking care of you and show them how great it feels to take care of yourself.  It will pay off!

Check out this transformation of my hubs!  Photo on the left was October 2016 in Vegas.  Photo on the right was last week in Wisconsin.






No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

This blog started as a hobby for many reasons. It later became a way to keep the family up to date on our micro preemie baby, Ethan. Now as Ethan is nearing the 8 year mark with a little sister of 5 years I am finding a new reason to document on this blog.

Last year we were told by the school that Ethan had cerebral palsy, a blindspot and dyslexia. That is what started it all. I started taking him to doctors to find out what was going on and why this hasn't been discovered before now. In April 2017 we were told that he has executive functioning disorder. What the heck is EFD I thought?!?! After the doctor explaining it to us he basically said that if we don't start making changes now he could fall into the ADHD or possibly the autism category. Ok... so now what? What can we do?!? Well this blog is my way of documenting it all not only for me but also to help others find their way thru similar situations.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP