Thursday, March 1, 2018

You had me at Pancakes

Ok so I posted the other day that forming habits are amazing when it comes to your health and fitness journey.  I have an internal alarm clock that wakes me up every morning before my actual alarm clock goes off to work out.  Now I thought this was from habit but I got to thinking... it might be the pancakes waking me up!

Its a real smack in the face tho when I realize its a day that I don't get my pancakes!  I only get them 4 days out of the week at the moment (only after weight lifting).  They are sooo good.  Before I went to sleep last night I told my husband that I was dreaming of my pancakes that I don't get in the morning!

So you want a recipe now don't you?  Well of course I have one for you!  Now I started out with one pancake that included cottage cheese but really wanted to cut out the dairy so I altered the recipe.  The one with cottage cheese tasted much better but I loved both of them.  Then I found my latest obsession... Angel food pancakes!  Anyone else love Angel food cake batter?  OMG I could make a bowl of it and eat the batter.  All of it.  By myself.  I love it!






Original Protein Pancakes
1/3 C Old fashioned Oats
1/3 C egg whites
1/4 C Cottage Cheese
1/2 Scoop Protein Powder

I blended these in my Ninja shake bottle.  Spread some coconut oil on a pan and fried 2 pancakes.  Then I added 1/4 C Blueberries and 1.2 ounces of maple syrup to get the macros that I needed.

Adjusted Protein Pancakes
1/3 C egg whites
1/3 C Old fashioned Oats
1/2 Scoop protein powder

I blended these in my Ninja shake bottle.  Spread some coconut oil on a pan and fried 2 pancakes.  Then I added 1/4 C Blueberries and 1.2 ounces of maple syrup to get the macros that I needed.

Angel Food Pancakes
3 egg whites
1/2 scoop protein powder
1/2 cream of tartar
6 drops stevia

This requires a little bit more work and the reason why I think that is I have to bring out my hand mixer but it is so worth it.  I beat the egg whites (they suggest doing this at room temperature but I do them cold because that requires a lot of thinking before my early morning workout) then add the rest of the ingredients and stir gently until it is all combined.  Now I have baked this in a glass bread pan that was greased with coconut oil at 350 for 16 minutes but this last weekend when I was stuck in a hotel I didn't have an oven but I was determined to have these so I tried frying them like I would an omelet.  Turned out great and it didn't take as long!  The oven version does give it a little bit more fluff and I am able to get the kids lunches ready when I have it in the oven so it will just depend on the morning as to how I will cook them.  Then of course I add my blueberries and syrup.  MMMMM soooo good!

Note: I have a vitamix and the ninja blender.  I find myself loving this blender more than the ninja!  So if you are like me and saving for a vitamin I suggest trying out this ninja first.  It is much cheaper and does just as good of a job as the vitamix.

A little random information for you on blueberries is that they provide the following healthy benefits:

1. High in Antioxidants (prevents against chronic disease, diabetes and cell damage)
2. Help Fight Cancer
3. Amp up weight loss (you want some now don't you ;)
4. Boost brain healthy (who doesn't want to win at the next trivia night?)
5. Alleviate inflammation (hello autoimmune diseases!)
6. Support digestion
7. Promote heart health

I often add blueberries to my children smoothies so they will reap from these benefits as well.  They are not a big fan of blueberries on their own but they eat them... they just don't know it ;)

(Source: Dr. Axe)


Why Wild vs Conventional?
Wild blueberries contains as least twice as many antioxidants than conventional.  Wild is smaller in size, sweeter and tangier.  I have not found wild blueberries fresh in my area but I have found them in the freezer section at most grocery stores.  Costco in Lethbridge carries a large bag of them but I have not found the wild ones in the Kalispell store.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

This blog started as a hobby for many reasons. It later became a way to keep the family up to date on our micro preemie baby, Ethan. Now as Ethan is nearing the 8 year mark with a little sister of 5 years I am finding a new reason to document on this blog.

Last year we were told by the school that Ethan had cerebral palsy, a blindspot and dyslexia. That is what started it all. I started taking him to doctors to find out what was going on and why this hasn't been discovered before now. In April 2017 we were told that he has executive functioning disorder. What the heck is EFD I thought?!?! After the doctor explaining it to us he basically said that if we don't start making changes now he could fall into the ADHD or possibly the autism category. Ok... so now what? What can we do?!? Well this blog is my way of documenting it all not only for me but also to help others find their way thru similar situations.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP